The City of Ionia Public Utilities Department oversees water supply, water distribution, and wastewater treatment operations. Our outstanding city staff is highly trained, and our facilities are regularly used for tours and training by the State of Michigan because of our commitment to excellence.
Water and Sewer Rates
Our rates continue to be among the lowest in Michigan. A utility bill will be sent to you quarterly, every three months. Your bill is broken into sections to assist you with appropriately tracking costs. Effective July 1, 2023, the utility bill rates are as follows:
City Charge Per 1,000 Gallons
- Water, $4.10
- Sewer, $4.50
Township Charge Per 1,000 Gallons
- Water, $6.15
- Sewer, $4.50
Facilities Maintenance Charge
The City charges a facilities maintenance charge which assists in covering the cost of retiring outstanding debt on the water and sanitary sewer systems. These charges are billed based on a residential equivalent unit (REUs) with one REU equaling 22,000 gallons of usage.
City Charge (Per REU)
- Water Facilities, $32
- Sewer Facilities, $46
Township Charge (Per REU)
- Water Facilities, $48
- Sewer Facilities, $46
Fire Suppression Charge
The city levies a $500 fire suppression system charge per quarter for commercial customers with internal sprinkler fire suppression systems. This charge covers the cost of the city's cross-connection program and the readiness to serve charge for the water service line that feeds the sprinkler fire suppression system.
Hydrant flushing in the City of Ionia is performed in the spring and fall each year. When flushing occurs in your area, your water may become discolored.
Thank you for your cooperation and attention in this matter.
For more information, contact us at 616-523-0167.
At the May 23, 2011 meeting, the Ionia Regional Utilities Authority (IRUA) Board of Trustees adopted rules and regulations which establish uniform requirements for the connection, use, operation, and maintenance of the IRUA wastewater treatment plant.
For more information, view the IRUA Rules and Regulations (PDF).
City Council Representatives
- Dan Balice, Delegate / Troy Waterman, Alternate
- John Milewski, II, Delegate / Tim Lee, Alternate
- Gordon Kelley, Delegate / Janice Gustafson, Alternate
- Precia Garland Delegate / Tom Millard, Alternate
- Berlin Township: Bob Bennett / William Vaarberg, Alternate
- Easton Township: Bill Patton / Don Rittersdorf, Alternate
- Ionia Township: Kurt Scheurer / Vacant, Alternate
- Orange Township: Thomas Green / Joshua First, Alternate
For more details, access the 2023 IRUA Meeting Schedule (PDF).
New residents or businesses must sign a Water/Sewer Contract at Ionia City Hall, 114 N Kidd Street, Ionia, Michigan 48846. For more information, please contact us at 616-527-4170, ext. 5141. Deposits or fees must accompany this contract. The fees charged by the city are as follows:
- For residents who rent property inside the city limits, there is a $120 water deposit, a $120 sewer deposit, along with a $4 application fee. The deposit is returned after you close out your service. Any remaining amount is deducted from this deposit with the remaining amount returned.
- For residents who own property and live in that property, only a $4 application fee is required.
- For Easton Township renters, there is a $120 water deposit, a $120 sewer deposit, along with a $4 application fee. The deposit is returned, less the amount of the final bill, when you close out your service.
- For Sherwood Forest Modular Home Park residents, there is a $120 water deposit, a $120 sewer deposit, along with a $4 transfer fee. The deposit is applied to the final bill and the balance is returned.
- For South Ionia and Ionia Township homeowners, there is a $4 application fee. For renters, there is a $120 water deposit, and a $120 sewer deposit, along with the $4 application fee.
If you are planning on moving, please let us know as soon as possible so a final reading can be taken and a proper billing produced. If you are buying property, make sure that the final bill has been paid by the previous owner, prior to closing.
For water in the city, there is a $1,000 minimum tap fee. The tap fee is designed to cover the cost of cutting the roadway, placing the line on the main, installing the shut-off box behind the curb, and repairing the roadway.
For sewer, there is a $1,500 tap fee.
New Businesses & Residents
If you are a new business or resident in Ionia and making a new tap on our water and sewer system, contact City Hall to arrange for the tap-in. Phone 616-527-4170.
Download the required Public Infrastructure Permit Application (PDF).
The Homeowner Assistance Fund was established under section 3206 of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (the ARP) to mitigate hardships associated with the coronavirus pandemic by providing funds to prevent homeowner mortgage delinquencies, defaults, foreclosure, loss of utilities or home energy services and displacements of homeowners experiencing financial hardship on or after January 21, 2020, or for those homeowners who experience a coronavirus pandemic financial hardship that began before January 21, 2020 but continued after that date.
Visit the Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF) page for further guidance.