Trash, Recycle, & Seasonal Waste Disposal
For information regarding 'Curbside Trash and Recycling', please phone City Hall at 616-527-4170,
The City of Ionia offers its residents a variety of waste disposal programs throughout the year. All of the programs are free of charge. Details and schedules, regarding these programs, are presented in the document - 2023 Seasonal Waste Disposal Programs (PDF).
- Spring 'Dump-Your-Junk' Day
- Fall 'Dump-Your-Junk' Day
- Spring - Brush and Yard Waste Removal Program
- Fall - Brush Removal Program
- Bagged Leaves Pick-Up Program
- Christmas Tree Recycling Program
Yard Debris & Small Branches
If you have small branches (8 inches in diameter and less than 4 feet in length) and yard debris (weeds, leaves, dead vegetation) you may take it yourself to the City of Ionia site located at the end of Apple Tree Drive. For more details, download the Map, Apple Tree Drive Compost Site (PDF).
Follow the signs at the end of Apple Tree Drive to the city compost site. There is no entrance fee. Authorized vehicles only signs are posted. These signs are in place to notify non-city personnel that the City of Ionia Wellfield Property is protected and maintained by the City of Ionia personnel. The City of Ionia Wellfield property is under camera surveillance at all times. You may enter the property to go to the compost site to dispose of your yard debris and small branches.
You can now place clear and colored glass bottles and containers in your recycling tub.
You will need to rinse them clean and remove the lids. Labels may be left on containers.
Items That Are Not Accepted
- Plastic Bags
- CRT Glass (monitors or TV screens),
- Light Bulbs
- Window Glass
- Drinking Glasses
Granger Waste Services is the contracted waste hauler for the City of Ionia. A comprehensive customer guide provides all details on the services provided for the City. Please visit their website using the link below for any service questions you may have including collection guidelines, holiday service schedules, and information for missed collections.
For more details, read the Granger Customer Guide.
- General items, Pesticides (insecticides, herbicides, and rodenticides)
- Pool Chemicals
- Home Improvement Products
- From Your Hobbies
- Electronic Collection
Visit the Ioniacd.org - Resource Recovery and Clean Sweep Programs page for more information.
The recycling guidelines list plastic as an accepted material, so that must mean any plastic, right? Well, as it turns out, all plastic is not created equal and some of it is not recyclable with your household recycling collection or at your local recycling drop-off. Here's a rundown on what's ok to toss in your recycling cart and what's not.
Article Source: Andrea Davis on September 11, 2020
Read more about the Top 5 Plastics to Recycle and Not to Recycle.
All recycling in the City will be picked up by Granger every other Monday, regardless of your regular trash day. Recycle tubs must be placed streetside by 7 am, on Monday. Please follow the following guidelines for all recycling:
- Recyclables do not need to be sorted.
- Do not bag recyclables. Put them loose in your recycling cart (Curby Recycler).
- Accepted items include cardboard; plastic bottles, tubs, jugs, and containers; mixed paper; metal cans and aluminum; and boxboard. Items that are not accepted may be left. More specific recycling guidelines and a collection calendar can be on the Granger Waste Services - City of Ionia Curbside Recycling page.
Containers and/or Tagged Bags must be placed street-side by 7 am, on service pick-up day. Trash bag tags are available for purchase in lots of 10 for $19, at City Hall, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm.
Current Rates (effective July 1, 2023)
- 90-gallon container - $29.40/quarter
- Recycle container - $12.60/quarter
Trash/Recycle fees are a part of your quarterly utility billing.